Kashmir’s police chief Sunday said that police there will be no ban on internet services in the valley in the aftermath of the death of a youth, Zahid Rasool Bhat, due to petrol-bomb attack in Udhampur earlier this month. Inspector General of Police, Kashmir, Syed Javaid Mujtaba Gillani told KNS that police has no such plans to block interent services. “We have no plans to ban internet services following the situation arising after the truck driver,” the IGP said. He said that police will take adequate security measures and deploy its men to maintain law and order across Kashmir. Zahid Rasool Bhat from Botengoo, Bijebehara in Anantnag district, who had suffered critical burn injuries in an attack by an alleged Hindu mob at Udhampur, succumbed at Safdargunj Hospital in New Delhi, while his associate Showkat Ahmad is also admitted in the same hospital. Following the death of Zahid, clashes between protesters and security forces erupted in south Kashmir’s Anantnag district. Reports said that protesters threw stones at security forces and shouted slogans against the government after the news spread in the area. A partial shutdown was also observed in the town, with the traffic movement coming to an abrupt stop on Srinagar-Jammu Highway. Police and paramilitary forces fired dozens of tear smoke canisters and pepper gas shells to disperse the mourners who were gathering in the town to offer condolences with the family. Separatists, travel operators and trade bodies have called for a complete shutdown in Kashmir to protest the death of Zahid due to petrol-bomb attacks on the truckers. Meanwhile, five out of eight persons, accused of being involved the attack on the truck on October 9, have been booked under Public Safety Act, a government spokesman said.
2015 Kashmir Despatch