Days after India announced that it has agreed on “early and complete disengagement” with China along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Ladakh, China took no time in announcing that their troops have disengaged in most localities prior to the close communication via military and diplomatic links.
However, there has been no confirmation from the Indian side to this claim of China.
According to a report published by a Delhi based newspaper, The Indian Express, China has been reluctant to step back from Pangong Tso and this action of theirs has stalled the disengagement process. This reluctance of China triggered the India-China violent face-off.
In China’s capital Beijing, the country’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin claimed frequent communication between the two countries.
“Recently India and China have held frequent communication via diplomatic and military channels, with four rounds of commander-level talks and three meetings under the working mechanism for consultation and coordination on China-India Border affairs,” he said
The report quoted the spokesperson saying that situation on the ground is calming down due to the disengagement of border troops.
On July 24, after a virtual meeting of the working mechanism for consultation and coordination was held in New Delhi, both India and China agreed on early and complete disengagement as per their separate statements, one from Beijing and other from New Delhi.
Earlier on July 7, when the country’s Defence Minister, Rajnath Singh visited forward areas in the Ladakh sector, said that talks with China about disengagement are going on, however, there is no guarantee to what extent the dispute would lead to both the stories.
Singh visited the area to review the ground situation along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the Ladakh sector.
Singh interacted with the troops of the Indian Army and Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) at the Lukung post, adjacent to the Pangong Tso Lake with an aim to boost their morale.
Amid the ongoing disengagement talks to de-escalate the stand-off between the armies of the two Asian neighbours along the LAC, the Defence Minister said that not one inch of India’s land can be taken by any power in the world.