PDD Employees and workers staged protest in Press Enclave Srinagar.
The protest demonstration was Organized by J&K Central Non Gazetted Electrical Employees Union (JKCNGEEU) as part of its ongoing protest demonstrations against privatization of PDD, release of long pending wages of daily wagers and regularization of their service, A large number of employees and workers on Wednesday 9th January 2019 took out a protest demonstration in press enclave Srinagar. The protesters submitted that the Power Development department has been reorganized in the year 1981 that too upto 60% requirements. Since then a huge augmentation has been made to the infrastructure by way of construction of large number of Grid Stations, Receiving Station and laying of HV Transmission lines. Moreover, the manpower required for smooth maintenance of this huge infrastructure has not been provided and no attempt to create the adequate posts for the required manpower has been made by the competent authorities even after repeated requests, which has resulted in acute dearth of staff in the department to look after this huge infrastructure. The dearth of the staff is so acute that a lineman has to look after 10-15 Sub Stations along with the HT/LT transmission lines, which has affected the smooth electric supply and the common man has become the ultimate sufferer. This has damaged the image and reputation of the government and the department evenly. Even if a huge number of daily wagers have been employed by the department over the years, but that too has not made any difference to the available and required manpower. These daily wagers have gained a lot of expertise experience in their respective fields and need to be regularized in appropriate pay scales under the provisions of Sub-ordinate service recruitment rules (SRO-381 of 1981). It is also worthwhile to mention here that the shortage in electricity has become a serious constraint for the Industrial & Economic Development of the state even if it has good potential of generating Hydro Electric Power in case the available water resources are utilized properly both state & Central Sectors. Not only this, the state is paying a huge cost in lieu of the Indus Water Treaty for which we almost get no compensation from the Central Sector Power Projects like Salal, Dolhasti & Uri. The power shortage in the state demands the handing over of all these projects to the state which may overcome the crisis to some extent.
In contrary to this, the organization of the Himachal Pradesh State Electricity Board is so good that they not only ensure the smooth ,maintenance of their infrastructure, but the staff there have adequate facilities for their vertical growth and justified work load.
In view of the above facts, following demands were made:
1) The employees are against the wrong policy of the Government to Privatize the Jammu and Kashmir Power Development Department (JKPDD) into Companies and this decision should be revoked immediately.
2) Re-organization of Power Development Department in accordance with the actual requirements which will not only ensure the smooth maintenance of huge infrastructure of the department, but will also ensure the development/vertical growth of the staff.
3) Regularization of the daily wagers having put in more than 5 years of service in the department under the provisions of SRO-381 of 1981.
4) To convene the DPC at State/Divisional/Circle level of all the cadres (2550-3200,2610-3540,3050-4920,4000-6000,
5000-8000,5700-10100)(left over PDL/TDL daily rated workers ) for their regularization in the department, so that the vacant lying posts of the lower grade may be filled up.
5) Transfer of all power projects from central sector to state sector to overcome the present power shortage.
6) Risk allowance in favor of the staff working on risk prone jobs.
7) Casual labors engaged in the department to be brought under the head of wages tp ensure their wages well in time.
8) Creation and maintenance of running staff for newly commissioned Grid Stations/Receiving Stations/Sub Stations.
9) Enhancement of Ex-Gratia/ Compensation of Rs. 5.00 lacs in place of one lac in death case, Rs. One lac instead of Rs. 0.20 lacs for disability and 0.50 lacs instead of Rs. 7500.00 for partial disability.
10) Providing 21/2 days upto the PayScale of 5700-10100(P.R).
11) Implementation of SRO-59 and SRO-149 in all the three regions without adopting any pick and choose policy.
12) Issuance of district wise seniority list to all daily wagers PDD/PDC in whole of J&K State who have been engaged w.e.f 01-04-1994 till date.
Provincial President/ State Secretary